Thursday, November 12, 2015

Jigsaw Reading Activity

I would begin Jigsaw technique with teacher modeling.  If my students were not familiar with this activity, I would explain to them that they would be working in different groups: a jigsaw or home group, made up of students who have read different texts, and expert group that all reads the same text.
Then, with a piece of text appropriate for my group of students, I would read and think-aloud as if I were working in an expert group, focusing on thought processes such as:
How can I put these ideas into my own words?
How will I tell the members of my jigsaw, or home, group about this material?
To prepare students for returning to their home, or jigsaw, group, I would demonstrate thinking they could use to monitor their performance there:
Do people understand what I’m saying?
Then I would organize students in their home or jigsaw groups and share with them the learning goal or guiding question for the lesson.  I would remind them of the modeling they saw. After appointing the roles I would check their understanding by asking:
·         Will everyone who will be experts raise your hand?
·         Can those responsible for the group work stand up (Leaders)?
·         How much time will you have for reading?

http://www.adlit.org/strategies/22371/    Teachers can use the following steps when developing the jigsaw strategy for a class:
1.       Introduce the technique and the topic to be studied.
2.       Assign each student to a "home group" of 3-5 students who reflect a range of reading abilities.
3.       Determine a set of reading selections and assign one selection to each student.
4.       Create "expert groups" that consist of students across "home groups" who will read the same selection.
5.       Give all students a framework for managing their time on the various parts of the jigsaw task.
6.       Provide key questions to help the "expert groups" gather information in their particular area.
7.       Provide materials and resources necessary for all students to learn about their topics and become "experts".
8.       Discuss the rules for reconvening into "home groups" and provide guidelines as each "expert" reports the information learned.
9.   Prepare a summary chart or graphic organizer for each "home group" as a guide for organizing the experts' information report.

10.   Remind students that "home group" members are responsible to learn all content from one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment